We are pleased to announce that, once again, our allotments have won prizes in the Fareham in Bloom Competition 2018. Well done to all. Winners are:
Allotment Garden up to 5 rods:
- Mike and Fiona Seddon - Lodge Road 43D1- Gold
- Elisa Hatherley - Hunts Pond Road 23B2 - Gold
- Duncan Halls - Hunts Pond Road 25C1 - Silver Gilt
- Patricia Shepherd - Lodge Road 44A2 - Silver Gilt
Allotment Garden over 5 rods:
- Laurence and Annie Gander - Warsash 13A - Gold (see Laurence's experience below)
- Sean and Jo Shaw - Hunts Pond Road 28D - Gold
- Claire Tilbury - Lodge Road 43B - Gold
- Geoff and Sandra Milam - Lodge Road 10 - Gold
- Andrew Stockton (Sarisbury Juniors) - Sarisbury Green 32A - Silver
Best Kept Allotment Site Large:
- Warsash - Gold
- Hunts Pond Road - Silver Gilt
- Allotment Road - Silver
Best Kept Allotment Site Small:
- Lodge Road - Gold
Laurence Gandar, Warsash Plot 13A, says: "Have a go"!
"When we took over our plot it was a mess as always is the case, but over a few years we had tidied things up and it looked quite presentable. We had always said that we were not going to get into competition but, spurred on by the fact that one of our fellow allotmenteers had won a Gold medal for their plot, and that the Warsash site won a Silver Gilt last year, I thought I would look up the details of how plots were marked on the Fareham in Bloom section of FBC's website
"I was delighted to find that the judges' marking only had 3 marks out of 100 against perennial weeds, as we are cursed with mare's tail! The important thing to remember is that this is not a competition between plot holders. You get marks out of 100 to qualify for a grade of award, so it's possible for lots of plot holders to win an award. Fareham in Bloom Marking 2018 Sheet.
"Lots of plots on our site and probably many on other sites would score highly. So I would encourage anyone to take a look at the judges' marking sheets and then walk round your plot to see how well you might do without making a special effort. To our surprise we won a Gold and also the Warsash site won a Gold. Think how great it would be if we won lots more"!